How to Clean Your Sailboat… and Your Sails
Sailing is nice… but when we get back to port it’s time to take care of our boat. Remember to always keep your sailboat clean, it’s the only way to always have it in perfect shape! To clean your sailboat, you’ll need to gather some supplies and follow these steps:
- Rinse off any saltwater or dirt from the exterior of the boat using a hose or pressure washer.
- Scrub the hull and deck with a soft-bristled brush and a mild detergent. Pay special attention to any stains or dirt that may be harder to remove.
- Rinse off the soap and scrubbed-off dirt with the hose or pressure washer.
- Dry the boat thoroughly using a soft cloth or chamois.
- Clean and dry the boat’s interior, including any cushions, curtains, and other fabric surfaces. Use a mild detergent and a soft cloth or brush to remove any dirt or stains.
- Clean and dry any metal surfaces, such as the hardware and fittings, using a metal cleaner and a soft cloth.
- Inspect the boat for any damage or maintenance issues, and make necessary repairs.
By following these steps, you can keep your sailboat clean and in good condition, ensuring that it is ready for your next adventure on the water.
How to clean the sails of your sailboat
To clean the sails of your sailboat, you’ll need to gather a few supplies, including:
- A soft brush or sponge
- Mild detergent or soap
- A bucket of water
- A hose or pressure washer (optional)
Here are the steps to follow:
- Start by brushing off any dirt or debris from the sails using a soft brush or sponge.
- Mix a small amount of mild detergent or soap in a bucket of water.
- Dip the brush or sponge into the soapy water and scrub the sails, paying particular attention to any stains or dirt that may be harder to remove.
- Rinse the sails off with the hose or pressure washer, making sure to remove all the soap and scrubbed-off dirt.
- Dry the sails thoroughly using a soft cloth or chamois.
By following these steps, you can keep your sailboat’s sails clean and in good condition, ensuring that they are ready for your next adventure on the water.